This post is simply pointing out some facts about World War II that I find to be quite interesting but deeply disturbing. Just listing a short list just to give an idea of the big picture but a long list could no doubt be wrapped around the globe. Man is a ticking bomb waiting for an opportunity to self-destruct.
- World War 2 was a battle between two groups of countries. – the “Allies” and the “Axis“. The major Allied Powers were Britain, France, Russia, China and the United States. The major Axis Powers were Germany, Italy, and Japan.
- Three countries remained neutral during the world war: Spain, Sweden and Switzerland
- Around six million Jewish people were killed during World War 2
- Millions of Germans were imprisoned and killed because they didn’t fit the image of the ‘perfect’ German
- World War II started on Dec. 7, 1941. (in the Pacific but in 1937 & 1939 in other countries)
- The Germans surrendered on 8 May 1945
- Imperial Japan surrendered on August 15, 1945, in a recorded broadcast by Emperor Hirohito, officially bringing the Second World War to a close.
- On August 28, 1945, the occupation of the Japanese home islands by the Allied forces began
- The war cost the United States around $341 billion dollars, calculated into 2015 currency the war cost over $4.5 trillion dollars. An amount equivalent of 74% of America’s GDP (Gross Domestic Product).
- A staggering amount of Allied equipment was abandoned and dumped into the ocean after the war’s end.
The price of war is not something to take lightly. There’s way more to the WWII than this short list of mind-blowing facts, but my point is that you would think that we’d learn something about war in general and work at helping to resolve future world’s conflicts peacefully without having to sacrifice more of our young and upcoming generations. As one of world’s top leader of the free world, it is only fitting that we be the ones to take a giant step and lead by example for the world to follow.